Thursday, May 22, 2008

information is key...

Well, I finally made it to Cancun, Mexico…It sure was an interesting journey just getting here…I walked the airport in Mexico city at least 246 miles total just trying to catch my flight to Cancun…I learned a valuable lesson : learn the language of the country you’re going to visit…I finally made it thru customs…The agent took my Declaration paperwork & stamped my passport…I then tracked down the Mexicana desk and was able to get my boarding pass… Lesson #2, don’t go on a trip where the boarding passes for your flights can’t be printed out…So, after I accomplished that task I boarded the plane & sat down next to the sweetest East Indian woman who spoke to me about everything from her son to her location in Texas to me getting married…Lesson #3, pre-screen the passengers you’re going to sit next to…she didn’t have a phone to use after unsuccessful attempts to connect with the phone system in Mexico…She asked if I had a cell phone that worked and I gladly obliged her to use mine…she walked off the plane without saying anything but I caught up to her and insisted she use it to get in touch with her son…After that was done I retrieved my luggage and proceeded to leave when an agent stopped me and asked for my declaration paperwork…I gave what the gentleman in Mexico City gave me but it wasn’t any good so I had to fill it out once again…I don’t understand why he took the whole thing and gave me nothing in return but the page with the rules on it…maybe, just maybe, he wanted to post it up in the airport for all to see…damn, my cover’s blown…But, back to my Cancun Airport Excursion…So, I walk outside and receive a text from Gibbs to take the Grayline Shuttle…A gentleman approaches and asks me what would I like so I tell him Grayline Shuttle…He then takes my bag and loads it near the van…I assumed he was the driver so I gave him a tip…Lesson #4, make sure the person taking your luggage is the driver and you don’t end up tipping the dolley(person that carries the luggage from one point to the other). I finally load my own stuff into the van and take a ride to the hotel…ahh, finally made it…The bellboy takes my bags and drops it….So, I say I got it…I get to my room after wandering around the grounds since there are no real clear directions as to where each room is…I get to my room only to find out there are no elevators…I’ve been up since 6:15 am so what’s another 2 hrs to hike my luggage up…All in all, it was well worth it because once I stepped into the suite I now know why they call it the Ambiance Villas…

No comments: